How to get to the job you want?

Look, I saw this happen multiple times. People outside of Romania (and even some Romanians) don’t know that this country is actually 2 different ones.

Let’s look at the average. We have a person earning 5000 euros and another one is earning 500. Then we have a 2750 euros average. Now let’s do it at a 1:10 ration. One earns 5000, 10 five hundred. The average is 910 euros. You’d say: Wow, that’s pretty cheap.

But the reality is that you won’t find anybody useful in those 10 people earning less. You must understand that there are 2 different populations in Romania:

• one that you can’t work with, they are educated that always somebody else will cater for you so they don’t have any skill. You ask these people to stand in a place for a second and they’ll answer they didn’t understand the request;
  • skilled people that know what the hell is happening, they train themselves, they know foreign languages (some of them even French - crazy, I know) and they know their worth.

This applies to every profession. That’s why you get a 24000 yearly euro average for “senior” developers in Bucharest. Because you have some great developers that are earning north of 40 000 a year, and a group of “senior” developers that you can’t do anything with, earning 500 - 1000 euros per month.

I can assure you, you won’t find anyone capable at low wages. There is a reason why they don’t go into the upper brackets.

And this goes for locations as well. A house in Bucharest/Cluj costs 300.000 - 500.000+ euros. In some remote village you get one for 10.000 euros. Guess in which house you want to live in.

3 Likes

Average is misleading… and bad news, more relevant is the median… which tends to be lower.

1 Like

That’s clear.

So I am looking for the

So 2 options:

• they are already happy with their job, earn a good salary, etc.
  • they are not and don’t earn the salary they deserve → this is the category I am targeting

Unfortunately, finding a great a job is not just about skills, experience, etc.

But also about being able to finds the best ads, making your profile attractive, going throughout the recruitment process, etc. → these are the skills I have

Maybe all the great profiles are already happy and earn a good salary, but maybe not.

Well, good luck, have fun and keep us posted. Like I always say, I found awesome people from Romania, right here on the forum.

1 Like

Glad i found this topic brothers and sisters because I just moved to France and got hired, this is my first week.
I work remote 100%. That’s good.

Now for the salary : i will get somewhere btw 2500-2600 euros net at the end of the month.
In Romania, also working remote but 6h/day I got 2200 euros.
You do the math.

In Cluj there are devs who get 3000 euros net monthly.
No comment.

So something’s wrong in Denmark I suppose…

For the internet : i live in some sort of village - commune.
We don’t have fiber in our flat , we don’t know when we’ll have it although the people on the other side of the street have it.
In Romania I lived in a village of 200 people and we had fiberlink internet from Digi. We signed the contract in our home, there was a young commercial who came to our village and invited everyone to install fiberlink.

I can’t tell you how many hours i spent with Orange in France trying to understand why and when will we get the fiber. I don’t have a clear answer even now, maybe next year ??

Maybe i am not a lucky guy, but maybe there is indeed something wrong with France nowadays, what do you say ??

1 Like

Well, you don’t go to/in Western Europe for the money. You go for the free healthcare, free schools/universities and highways (though it sucks to be in the countries where you have to pay to use them). Otherwise, yeah, there are higher wages in Romania.

What do you mean free healthcare ? If you’re not employed there is no free healthcare at all.

I dunno. It’s something people keep saying: go to the Netherlands, they have free healthcare there. To be honest, I’m not sold. I have some friends that moved to the Netherlands actually and had to get back to Cluj for a diagnostic - it was near impossible to see a doctor in due time on the dutchies side.

1 Like

Avoid internet form SFR.
It’s slow and sometimes the network has issues.

As far as I know, in NL you need to contract a private insurance that you pay out of pocket, not like in Romania.

Yeap, we all have mandatory private health insurance in the Netherlands, but it ends up being cheaper than the public one I used to pay for in Romania. Fine with me :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This includes all retired people. Only before 18y old it’s free, if one of your parents has it, and register you on their contract.

There is nothing free in NL.

You do get financial help for it from the government if your income is super low, so while not free, nobody is left out without insurance. Suffice to say, I’m a fan of the system.

If you are interested in real data, purchase the AIMS salary report or something equivalent.
Glassdoor data is not representative, at least not for Romania.

2 Likes

“I just moved to France and got hired, this is my first week.”
→ I hope you will enjoy your new life.

“Now for the salary : i will get somewhere btw 2500-2600 euros net at the end of the month.
You do the math.”
→ It depends on your experiences, skills, etc. But not only, also your ability to find the best ads, to negotiate, etc.
Finding a job with a high salary is not that easy.
It’s a discipline, like coding and unless you know how it works, it won’t be easy.
That’s why I offered my help.

“i live in some sort of village - commune.
We don’t have fiber in our flat , we don’t know when we’ll have it although the people on the other side of the street have it.”
→ I guess this is a problem for your job. There is fiber in France. It is important to choose wisely the city in which you are going to live and to ask for fiber before renting.
That’s also why I offered my help.

“I can’t tell you how many hours i spent with Orange in France trying to understand why and when will we get the fiber. I don’t have a clear answer even now, maybe next year ??”
→ I truly feel your pain. This is indeed such a hell.

“Maybe i am not a lucky guy, but maybe there is indeed something wrong with France nowadays, what do you say ??”
→ Going to a new country is not easy.
It is the same for me, coming from France to Romania.
It’s not because of the country.
It’s because I don’t know enough about this country, its codes, its habits, etc.
And I’m sure if I had known Romanians, it would have been much easier and cheaper.

Your experience is the perfect example of how I can help and provide value.

That being said, if there are any topics you need help with, email me.
I know how difficult it is to be a new country.
So if you need, I would be glad to help you as I can.

Take care of yourself and I hope you will enjoy this new adventure.

3 Likes

“Who is entitled to social security in France?
Anyone who works or resides in France on a stable and regular basis has the right to have their health costs covered on a personal basis and continuously throughout their life: this is the principle of universal health protection.”

1 Like

Merci et bon courage a ton aventure en Roumanie aussi :wink:

1 Like

Now for the salary : i will get somewhere btw 2500-2600 euros net at the end of the month.
You do the math.

In Cluj there are devs who get 3000 euros net monthly.

Actually, those numbers are quite low and or outdated. For context, there’s another recent thread here where someone was mentioning they have trouble hiring, and they were offering 4-5k € net (now in that case I don’t think the main reason they’re having trouble hiring is the financial aspect, they also mentioned some people’s aversion to startups and other reasons, but just to put it in perspective - there are plenty of offers significantly higher than 2.5-3k, and I think you’re quite unlikely to find a solid senior dev with a 3k net offer)

Well, since it seems like you know how much everyone is paying, I rest my case.

In that case, it was probably pfa, though he didn’t specify, only mentioned “net” (so it would still have been higher than that, gross)